National Power Training Institute (NPTI) has been set up by Government of India to function as the National Apex Body for the Human Resources Development of Power Sector personnel in India. NPTI has been providing
its dedicated service for more than five (5) decades. The Headquarters of NPTI is located at NPTI Complex, Sector-33, Faridabad (Haryana). NPTI operates on a Pan- India basis through its eleven (11) institutes in different power zones of the country as per detail below:
A. Northern Region
- NPTI Corporate Office Faridabad
- NPTI ( Northern Region) Badarpur
- NPTI (Hydro Power Training Centre) Nangal
B. Southern Region
- NPTI (Power System Training Institute) Bangalore
- NPTI (Hot Line Training Centre) Bangalore
- NPTI (Southern Region) Neyveli
C. Eastern & North Eastern Region
- NPTI (Eastern REgion) Durgapur
- NPTI (North Eastern REgion) Guwahati
D. Western Region
- NPTI (Western Region) Nagpur
- NPTI, Shivpuri
Manpower Training and Academic Programmes
Industry interfaced programs
in the Sector.
Some of the Industry interfaced programs organized by NPTI are as under:
- One Year Post Graduate Diploma Course in Power Plant Engineering
- One Year Post Graduate Diploma Course in Renewable Energy and Grid Interface Technologies
- One Year Post Graduate Diploma Course in Smart Grid Technologies
- One Year Post Graduate Diploma Course in Energy Market Management.
- One Year Post Graduate Diploma Course in Power System Operation.
- One Year Post Graduate Diploma Course in Power Management
- One Year Post Graduate Diploma Course in Sub-Transmission & Distribution system.
- Nine Months Post Graduate Diploma Course in Hydro Power Plant Engineering.
- Six Months Post Graduate Diploma Course in Transmission and Distribution System for Engineers.
- One Year Post Diploma Course in Power Plant Engineering
- Six Months Post Diploma Course in Hydro Power Plant Engineering.International Training
On - Job Training
On-job training is an essential supplement to formal training which provides the trainees an understanding of the functions through involvement with real work situations. NPTI conducts on-job training programs as per clients
requirements. Online Training Course NPTI is conducting online training programs on various topics like Smart Grid and Smart Metering, SPV, Cyber Security etc.
Cadre Training Institute for Central Power Engineering Services
NPTI is functioning as an Apex Cadre Training Institute for the engineers/officers of Central Power Engineering Services. NPTI is conducting fourth batch of 26 weeks Induction Training Programs for the Asstt. Directors of CEA.
Training Program for Forum of Regulators
National Power Training Institute, Faridabad organizes residential training program on “Protection of Consumer Interest” for the ombudsman and officials from the Consumer Grievance Redressal Forums, Regulatory commissions of the various States. This program is conducted every year under the aegis of Forum of Regulators.
Linemen Training Programs
NPTI has trained around 2500 Distribution Linemen under “Urja Sarathi”, “Uttam Urja Sarathi” and TF Engineers Training Programs.
System Operator Certification Examination
NPTI’s Power System Training Institute (PSTI) has been conducting Certification of Power System Operators since 2011. Training Courses at NPTI, Corporate Office, Faridabad and Power System Training Institute (PSTI), Bengaluru and NPTI (NER), Guwahati equip the System operators with necessary inputs to take up the Basic Level, Specialist Level and Management Level Certification Examinations.
Renewable Energy Grid Integration Programs
NPTI is also conducting a blended training program for REMC Operators, in association with GIZ. The training is a blend of 12 weeks online and 1 week classroom training at NPTI. International and national experts have been
involved in preparation of the modules and conducting the classroom.
Hot Line Training Centre
A facility has been created at NPTI's Hot Line Training Centre, Bengaluru for Live Line Maintenance of Transmission Lines up to 400 KV which enables trained personnel to attend to maintenance requirements without power interruptions. Facilities for water washing of sub-station equipment are also available.
Skill Development Training
NPTI has been empanelled as a Government agency with Ministry of Rural development (MoRD) for conducting NSQF aligned training programs on all India basis for Power Sector & Renewable Energy Sector. NPTI has been
recognized as an Assessment & Certification body for 60 Qualifications in Power Sector and Renewable Energy Sector.
NPTI is conducting training programs through ITEC, MEA, Govt. of India for the countries of the world i.e. SAARC, African Countries etc.
The Institutes of NPTI are well equipped with Hi-Tech infrastructural facilities for conducting different courses on technical as well as management subjects covering the needs of Thermal, Hydro, Transmission & Distribution
Systems, Regulatory and Energy related fields of the Indian Power and allied Energy Sectors.
- NPTI has a 500 MW real-time, full-scope Thermal Power control room operation Training Simulator at Faridabad Institute
- 2 Nos. of 210 MW Thermal Power Training Simulators at Badarpur-New Delhi &Nagpur Institutes for imparting specialized skills to operation personnel across the country.
- 430 MW (2x143 MW Gas Turbine and 1x144 MW Steam Turbine) Combined Cycle Gas Turbine Replica Simulator has been commissioned at NPTI Corporate Office, Faridabad.
- A High fidelity Load Dispatch Operation Simulator replica of the National Grid has also been installed at PSTI, Bengaluru for training System Operators of Load Dispatch Centers.
- 250 MW Hydro Simulator at HPTC, Nangal.
- NPTI has set up a Full Scope 800 MW Supercritical Coal Fired Power Plant Training Simulator at its Corporate Centre, Faridabad. This simulator is replica of NTPC’s unit #1 of Kudgi Project (3X800MW) and is fully modular.
- Six (6) multi-functional Training Simulators replicating the real-time integrated Unit operations for 210 MW, 500 MW, 800 MW Thermal Units, 250 MW Hydel Unit, 550 MW Combined Cycle Power Plant (CCPP) with additional functionalities of SCADA & Smart Grid have been established at NPTI's various institutes.
The laboratories and Workshops are the prerequisites for providing on-job, hands-on training in the maintenance aspects. The NPTI institutes have well equipped laboratories and workshops with wide ranging facilities for
imparting training to all cadres including Technicians, Operators and Engineers, in various aspects of Power Generation, Transmission Distribution and Operation. Some of the areas where expertise has been built up are:
- Control and Instrumentation Laboratories with facilities for testing, calibration and repairs of different types of process control instruments.
- Maintenance workshops for Valves, Bearings & Shaft alignment, Pumps, Motors etc.
- Electrical laboratories with facilities for testing of relays, electrical equipment, insulating oils etc., along with repairs as per requirement.
- Power System Studies Laboratories are equipped with Transmission and Distribution System Software where studies such as load flow analysis, short circuit studies, transient stability studies, relay coordination studies, optimal capacitor placement, network reduction and optimal separation point can be conducted
Professionals from various countries like Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Belarus, Bhutan, Cambodia, Ecuador, Ethiopia, Iraq, Kenya, Libya, Malaysia, Mexico, Myanmar, Nepal, Nigeria, Oman, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, South
America, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Syria, UAE, Zambia, Zimbabwe etc. have undergone training at NPTI’s various training Institutes.
In order to serve the industry requirements and make best usage of infrastructure and expertise, NPTI has ventured into providing consultancy services in preparation of DPRs, Third Party Inspecting Agency (TPIA) works,
PMA, Audits etc. NPTI also provides Consultancy in the field of Human Resources Development including Training Need Analysis, Upgradation of training facilities, Customized Course Designs, Capacity Assessment/Evaluation for Promotion etc.
To disseminate the knowledge among the technical domain, NPTI has published number of books, manuals etc. These resource materials are prepared by domain experts and are meant to give in depth exposure and knowledge to the readers in related fields. For more details, please surf the website of NPTI at : https://npti.gov.in