Central Power Research Institute (CPRI)
For further details, please surf the site at : https://cpri.in
Central Power Research Institute (CPRI) was established by the Government of India in 1960. CPRI is an autonomous Society under the Ministry of Power, Government of India. The Institute has several Research and Testing laboratories engaged in different specialized fields. The headquarters of the Institute is in Bangalore and its Units are located at Bhopal, Hyderabad, Nagpur, Noida, Kolkata. A unit in Nasik is also being established.
The Institute is 50 years old and is celebrating it's five decades of dedicated service to the power sector and ranks on par with International test houses.
The Institute has it's Head Office & major laboratories at Bangalore. The Institute has ite Units at Bhopal, Hyderabad, Koradi, Noida, Kolkata & Guwahati.
Activities of CPRI:
- Applied Research in electrical power engineering
- Testing & Certification of Power equipment
- Consultancy and Field testing services to Power Utilities and Industry
- Third Party Inspection and Vendor Analysis
- Customized Training Programs for Utilities & Industries
The headquarters of the Institute is in Bangalore and its Units are located at Bhopal, Hyderabad, Nagpur, Noida, Kolkata and Guwahati. The Bhopal Unit has exclusive facilities for Testing Transformers and Switchgears. The Unit at Hyderabad focuses on Ultra High Voltage Research and evaluation while Unit at Nagpur offers consultancy to solve problems faced by the Thermal Power sector. The Unit at Noida has facilities for testing Low and Medium Voltage equipment and caters to the requirement of Northern region. The Units at Kolkata and Guwahati, have facilities for testing Transformer oil.
- ISO/IEC 17025: 2005 accredited by National Accreditation Board for Testing and Calibration Laboratories (NABL) – Traceable to international bodies like International Laboratory Accreditation Co-operation (ILAC) and Asia Pacific Laboratory Accreditation Co-operation (APLAC)
- Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS)
- Intertek – ASTA, UK
- ISO 9001 Certification for Research and Consultancy activities
- Member of the Short Circuit Testing Liaison (STL)
- Corporate member on DLMS UA (Device Language Message Specification User Association) and UCA IUG (Utility Communication Architecture International User Group)
- Approved by INMETRO Brazil as a third party testing laboratory for Brazil Energy Labeling Program on transformers
- Approved by Electricity Water Authority (EWA), Kingdom of Bahrain – Electricity Distribution Directorate (EDD) as an Independent testing and Certification Body.
- Association with Underwriter’s Laboratories (UL) for testing of LV equipment
- Association with TUV Rheinland India Pvt. Ltd. for testing and certification
- In-House R&D (IHRD)
- Research Schemes on Power (RSoP)
- Research Project under National Perspective Plan (NPP)
CPRI has built up expertise to cater to the entire gamut of services required by Power Sector covering Generation, Transmission and Distribution under one roof. CPRI houses unique facilities for evaluation of EHV/UHV equipment going into the 800kV/1200kV system. Test facilities have been created for:
- High Power Short Circuit testing of Transformers/Switchgears
- Transmission line Tower & accessories, Vibration studies
- Power Cables, Capacitors
- Material characterization including CRGO, Transformer oil
- Insulators & Lightning Arresters
- Relays, Energy meters, Smart Meters, Phasor Measurement Unit
- Refrigerators and Air Conditioners
- LED Lamps, Solar PV Lanterns and Home Lighting Systems, Solar PV Modules, Grid Tied SPV Inverters, Solar Pumps, Induction Motors
The Institute has expertise for Seismic Qualification of electrical equipment, Real Time Digital Simulator for Power Systems Studies and Communication Protocol for Power System Automation.
CPRI offers consultancy in the areas of:
- Diagnostic & Condition Monitoring of HV substation and Power plant electrical equipment, Site testing of Transformer oil
- Power System Studies, Real Time Simulation of Power System Controls, Protection Audit - Generating stations and substations, Grid integration of Renewables - Wind and Solar, Power Quality Studies - Harmonic Filter design, Protection coordination studies/Equipment setting calculations
- RLA and R&M of Thermal & Hydro Power Plants, Failure analysis of industrial and plant components, Performance assessment of coal mills and cooling towers, In-situ oxide scale measurement in Super Heater and Re-heater tubes, Non-destructive evaluation of Thermal Power Station plant equipment, Corrosion mapping of water wall tubes of Boilers
- Energy Efficiency Services like Energy Audit, Fuel Audit of Thermal Power Stations, training services in Plant Optimization for Thermal Power Stations
- Power System Automation/Distribution Automation, Smart Grid
The Institute offers Third Party Inspection Services and Vendor Assessment for Utilities. CPRI is also offering its services for programmes initiated by Government of India.
CPRI has been in the forefront for disseminating the knowledge assimilated by way of in-house Research through organizing Technical Programmes. The training modules are designed to comprehensively address the specific needs of the Power Sector Utilities.
Services for Overseas Customers:
CPRI has been addressing the electrical equipment testing requirements of Overseas countries like Nepal, Bhutan, Bangladesh, Myanmar, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, SriLanka, Korea, Japan, UK etc. Besides the Certification, Consultancy and Training services are also utilized by the Utilities and Industries of countries in Middle East, South East & Far East Asia and Africa. CPRI services are being sought by countries like USA, Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Israel and many others.
Prof.Sir.C.V.Raman Road, Sadashivanagar P.O., P.B.No: 8066,
Bangalore – 560080, Karnataka, India
Tel: +91 80 22072210, 22072213, 22072208; Fax: +91 80 23601213
Email: drvarughese[at]cpri[dot]in / kamala[at]cpri[dot]in / ramdas[at]cpri[dot]in